Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 10, 2011

Josiah and Letters: Josiah gets soooo pissed when he doesn't "WIN". When we do the Letter Flash Cards, he "wins" the card if he calls the Letter. This is HIS game that he made up.....BUT....He was going into a meltdown over the ones he didn't "get", so we are going to ditch this game. IF it were Clue or something, I would continue on and work with him on his poor sportsmanship, but not on something we are using to "learn". I am going to switch gears and try something else. I have a kid demanding that I teach him how to read, and I am not about to make him hate it and turn away from it because I pushed a certain "method" on him. He wants to just open a book and jump right into reading, so why is it stuck in my head that he HAS to recognize ALL of the Letters by name FIRST? Oh, yeah...I am a product of traditional education. I fully realize how ridiculous the "system" is, yet I revert right back to it before I can blink my eyes! Even though HE made the game up, once we started it and it only worked to a certain point for him, I pressed him to keep on with it even though it was upsetting him. WHY? That is SO stupid. Ugh. I am going to talk to him about my  mistake and apologize, then let him choose how he wants to proceed with HIS education. 

Sam worked on Writing today. He really loves to keep a journal. I would never waste our time by forcing him to write about things he could care less about. He also did a page in his Sylvan Reading Success Workbook.

We gave the cats Catnip today (Well, Loki gets all of the Catnip because he hisses at Camo when she gets near it...). The boys were amazed and had a lot of questions, so we read all about Catnip.

Josiah asked to hold the turtle: "Mom, we have not held our turtle in a long time. I KNOW what you are gonna say...I know we have to wash our hands because of mello-yello!" (He meant Salmonella....ROFLOL!)

The boys were soaking in a conversation I had with a friend the other day (I was unaware of the soaking at the time). I was telling my friend about another Mom we both know (the boys are also very familiar with this Mom and her son) who would not allow her son to watch the movie Finding Nemo. WELL. Since we returned home from my friend's house...3 days ago....my kiddos have gone to great extremes to hunt the movie, Finding Nemo, down and watch it to see what all the fuss was about....THREE TIMES. I find this hilarious! I didn't even know. Sam told me..."Oh yeah Mom, Finding Nemo? The movie that (crazy Mom's name) won't let (crazy Mom's son) watch? Well....we found it and watched it THREE TIMES!". But he hasn't mentioned if he has discovered what all of the fuss was about.

Josiah pointed out in the truck the other day that The Doors song, LA Woman, sounds a lot like Charlie Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment